Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day - A History Lesson

This is a small snippet of the history of Veterans Day. Read whole story here.

Although World War I — known at the time as “The Great War” — officially ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919, fighting actually ceased seven months earlier when an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, went into effect between the Allied nations and Germany on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. For that reason, Nov. 11, 1918, is generally regarded as the end of “the war to end all wars.” In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed Nov. 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day. The original concept for the celebration was for a day observed with parades, public meetings, and a brief suspension of business beginning at 11 a.m.

Let's see what our WWII Hero Harry was doing on Nov. 11, 1943

Hello Honey,
Well darling, as usual I had your letter this PM. It sure helps to know that there is someone who really cares and thinks of me.

I had a letter from Jack Carey, it was quite a surprise. I must answer. We still haven't any heat in our barracks it's just about 50 degrees in here. There is something wrong with the blower system. It has been real cold here, there is a bitter north wind blowing.

Is Smitty still at Baer Field? I bet Wilma will be heart broken if he ever gets transferred. Today we had to turn our O.D. uniforms in. My trousers need to be taken in at the waist and the blouse is too tight at the arms. I don't know when I'll get it back, probably Sat. I can't go anywhere until I get it back. You can't wear fatigues to the movies or PX. I sure hope I have it back by Sunday. I'd hate to cool my heels in here all weekend. Maybe the weekend after I'll got to Raleigh. It gets pretty tame laying around here looking at the same walls all the time. I don't need my money yet. I still have $28. It's so darn cold in here I think I'll have to go to bed to keep warm.

Today our Lieut. (a fairly decent guy for this outfit) asked everyone, "who had any part of his body hurt to tell him about it". I told him about my flat feet which hurt quite a bit when I've been on them awhile. He told me he would see if there was anything he could do for me. I'll bet you get tired of hearing about my troubles. How is your neck? Too bad about the bonus. I don't think Koerbers were any too nice about the week you were off but I wouldn't take anything for the time we spent together.

Well darling, it's time to tell you once again I love you and think you are the dearest and sweetest gal in this whole world. I am sure looking forward to the days when we will be together again. The sooner the better. Just pray and hope that the day will come soon.

Lovingly, your Hubby, Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment