Saturday, February 14, 2009

Feb, 1945 - Somewhere in France

Hello Darling,
I finally have access to my duffel bag and have some of my stationery. I am writing this by candlelight so please excuse any scribbling and missing words.

We have had sleeping bags issued to us. They are really warm and comfortable to sleep in. We are allowed a stul helmet full of coal per day per tent. So you see, we don't waste any fire during the day.

We were told that we might not receive any mail for a month. That is going to be tough going, but guess I can and may have to put up with worse things than that before I see you again. Just keep on writing. When I do get them I'll have a mess of them. I'll write as much and as often as I can. So don't worry if you don't get letters too regularly. I know everything will turn out okay and we will be together again before very long.

The rain is beating down on the tent right now. It has a nice peaceful patter but it promises to be the cause of lots of mud tomorrow. French mud is in a class of its own.

We are eating out of our own mess hall now. Food is getting much better. We had ham, pineapple, rice, salad and tea. Really tasted good. I have a few candy bars left. They will probably disappear fast.

There isn't much more I can tell you except that I love you and always will. You are my inspiration, my life, my everything. I'll love you always and mean to do everything in my power to make you happy. It was a happy and lucky day when I married you. You have been a perfect wife and I have no regrets in marrying you. You have made me divinely happy. So until tomorrow night . . . Devotedly, Harry

----
Happy Valentines Day to all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment